Better understanding through questioning...

"Questions are a burden to others. Answers are a prison for oneself."
- From a sign in the Employment Exchange in the series The Prisoner

That statement isn't completely true. Questions can help us understand the views of others and even save us from screwing ourselves.

Today isn't a rant day, it's more of a "Hmmmm..." day. Over the last few days there have been some stories that hit the news that either could have been avoided by some simple questions or understood by simple questions.

President signs Hate Crimes bill into law -

Last night I was asked why the penalties for a murder committed due to a hate crime should carry a double sentencing term than a simple murder. Now I could have replied with a "You are kidding, right?", but I had to consider the person asking. This person has never been discriminated against because of their sexual orientation or race. To get down to it, you have to differentiate the two basic forms of murder. There is hot blooded and cold blooded. Hot blooded murder would be two guys having a spur of the moment argument, a gun is pulled, and someone is shot. There is no prior planning. Cold blooded murder is a planned murder. Just think about the guy in England some years back who was so meticulous about planning his wife's murder, he put everything on his PDA (Note to readers: OCD is not a good thing when planning a crime).

I explained the differences and gave the following example.

"If someone spray paints "Nigger move out!" on my apartment door, I call the police and they say "Sorry, we can take a report and call us if it happens again.", I do not feel safe and what is to say the next time it isn't spray paint, but bullets at my door? Hate crimes, even those of a hot blooded nature, are always cold blooded. Even in the hot blooded ones, they are based on a cold blooded view of the person being attacked. If stricter punishment for hate crimes keeps people from committing them altogether, I support the bill. This helps my kids to get closer to a world where they can live and be without anyone hurting them for their race or belief.

Always get your facts right -

This week saw Rush Limbaugh rush to air with a story on President Obama's College Thesis. Rush took it to broadcast only to find the whole thing was a hoax by a blogger. Now is Rush to blame for this? Not at all. Whatever idiot on his fact checking staff who brought this forward is and hopefully Rush fired the person. In the media, you are either first or last, there is no second, third, or fourth place. He who gets the carrot first, gets the reward. Rush knows this and Rush has people on his staff that are supposed to handle this stuff for him. I've heard people say Rush needs to apologize for the whole thing. I say "not so." Rush did his part based on what he was given as fact. Could he have said "Did we check this out?" Sure, but if you hire people for that purpose, you shouldn't need to ask. On this one, and I am almost choking saying it, Rush Limbaugh was the victim on this one.

Enough on the question stories, now to the twits of the week.

Chiefs RB, Larry Johnson Suspended Indefinitely -

Kansas City Chiefs running back, Larry Johnson has now been suspended indefinitely for using gay slurs a second time in the media. You gotta love people who don't learn the first time round. Larry made a pathetic apology yesterday, but the NFL said "sorry Charlie". Now in his defense, he is paid to wage war on the playing field, not be a PR savvy sort of guy. That said, he is expected to learn from his mistakes and since he can't manage that, I applaud the NFL's stance on this issue with him.

Palin's High Risk, High Reward Strategy -

I find myself defending people I don't care for politically, but fair is fair. First it was Rush Limbaugh and now it's Sarah Palin. The politically villified Palin is now under fire from her own party (Palin's High Risk, High Reward Strategy). The GOP is pissed that rather than support their golden child in the NY election, she picked the third party conservative. I say "BRAVA!" Palin was villified during the primaries because of her beliefs, but also because she was not prepared for the spotlight. The GOP bought her flashy clothes, but didn't get her ready to deal with the issues. When it all went under, suddenly stories leaked about the cost of her wardrobe and the GOP pretty much left her hanging out to dry. The point being that the GOP has a lot of nerve to be shocked and upset at Palin's endorsement choice. They left her compromised and didn't even try to offer her any support. Tit for tat I say and she owes the GOP nothing except maybe a solo fingered salute for their stellar support of her.

Now there is one story this week that is disturbing to me as a parent.

Friend of gang rape victim blasts school officials over safety -

Now this story has to be the most disturbing story I have followed for quite sometime. I applaud this young lady for being brave and standing up for herself and other students at this school. I think the administrators at this school need to be severely reprimanded, if not fired, if her claims are true. Caution: This story may seriously make you angry or feel sick even.

And to leave you on a good note...

Phillies Stun Yankees 6-1 in World Series Opener -

I don't think this needs any elaboration. :-)

To take a line from Garrison Keillor...

Be well, do good work, and stay in touch.

0 comments:

Post a Comment